forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Recognising commercial entities that support Forrest
Date Thu, 21 Apr 2005 11:17:16 GMT
 From my blog
(http://www.jroller.com/page/rgardler/20050421#commercial_appreciation_of_open_source
)

Matthew Langham often posts on the relationships between Open Source
projects and commercial organisations profiting from those projects.
Usually I find myself agreeing with his views, I did so again today when
he said:

"I still think that just linking to an Open Source project from your
home-page to "show your appreciation" isn't enough though. That link
should be to a page showing just what you have done to give back to the
community. Far more effective."

What a great concept. Thinking about the projects I work on most
commercial organisations that use the software “show their appreciation“
by adding their names to a “used by” list. Think about it, this is
actually benificial to the company in question as it is another inbound
link, often from a fairly high ranked page.

Other companies show their appreciation in much more concrete ways,
Matthew lists some of them as "code, time, test-results, documentation,
hardware, writing articles about the project", there are of course many
more ways (I could really do with some financial support whne I present
at ApacheCon Europe this year, as could most of the presenters).

Why should companies who actively support a project and its community
get the same “billing” as those who simply use it? I‘m going to discuss
this on some of the projects I am involved with and see what we can come
up with.

----

Well? Should we do anything about this?

Ross