forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Q: Site and unique element names
Date Thu, 21 Apr 2005 10:02:02 GMT
David Crossley wrote:
> Ferdinand Soethe wrote:
>
>>I know this has come up before, but I'm not sure which of the info in
>>old threads is still relevant today so I'll ask again:
>

> If you remind us what came up before, then we might be able
> to tell you if still relevant.
>

>>Why does Forrest expect unique element names in site.xml.
>>
>>One reason I found in the archives is that you need to have a unique
>>ID to distinguish between two entries pointing to the same file such
>>as
>>
>><about1 label="About 1">
>>    <index label="Index" href="index.html" description="Welcome to MyProj"/>
>></about>
>>
>><about2 label="About 2">
>>    <index label="Index from somewhere else" href="index.html" description="Welcome
to MyProj"/>
>></about>
>

> I am confused as to what is your issue.
> It doesn't expect unique element names.
>
> Refer to them with site:about1/index and site:about2/index
> Or did i miss the point.

I think what Ferdinand is saying is that he wants to use a schema to
drive an Editor for the site.xml and tabs.xml files. Without a defined
schema he can't do that. So his question is, if I define a schema will I
break any functionality.

I believe it will break the site: and ext: protocols as I don't think we
can use attributes to identify nodes in those protocols (I may be
wrong). Certainly the IMSManifest plugin breaks these protocols.

>>But then, why not use an ID-Attribute to achieve this?
>

> I just glanced through the Forrest docs that Ross referred to.
> The original mail thread is linked and it shows the use of
> the id attributes. Don't know if that followed through to
> implementation.

I don't see that. I only see "site:about1/index" type links.

Ross