forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Lenya and forrest integration
Date Thu, 21 Apr 2005 09:51:34 GMT
Thorsten Scherler wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-04-20 at 14:41 -0400, Gregor J. Rothfuss wrote:
>
>>Thorsten Scherler wrote:

>>from what i understand, forrest has a superior concept of 'resource
>>types' (plugins in forrest lingo), pluggable sitemap components to
>>handle rendering of new sorts of content.
>>

> In forrest we support three kind of plugins:
> -input
> -internal
> -output
>

>>lenya has a superior concept for bundling functionality (java, etc) with
>>the usecase framework.
>

> Actually I would like to have both concepts (bundling functionality and resource types)

> together. Lets each project concentrate on what is best on and have an interface connect
> them both. It should be working in forrest and lenya via plugins (lenya2forrest)
> and usecases (forrest2lenya).

Forrest Plugins can bundle extra functionality into Forrest (Java etc.)
Basically, anything that can be done in Cocoon can be done in Forrest
since Forrest is a Cocoon application (of course this is also true of
Lenya).

I have (almost) automated the conversion of Cocoon Blocks into Forrest
plugins. I'm just stuck on how to embed extensions to the web.xml file.
This is a problem that Cocoon will have to address as they work towards
"real blocks", so I'm waiting for them rather than doing it alone.

> Actually I see lenya as a business service. I am still thinking about the interface
> for the businessHelper plugin to connect to different business services. Maybe this
> lists are best to discuss this.
>
> Thoughts welcome. ;-)

As I mentioned in a previous mail I opted for this route. The CMS
becomes a plugin to Forrest. At present I have the CMS running
independently, but it could, theoretically be included in the plugin,
assuming Jetty supports dynamic deployment of webapp.

Doing it this way means that you can swap out the CMS or use multiple
instances of it.

Ross