forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Re: describe Forrest in 50 words
Date Wed, 20 Apr 2005 19:38:04 GMT
Brett Presnell wrote:
> Ross Gardler <rgardler@apache.org> writes:
>
>>Apache Forrest is a standards-based documentation framework based
>>on Apache Cocoon. Forrest emphasizes separation of presentation
>>and content through a plugin architecture for transforming and
>>aggregating a variety of input sources into one or more output
>>formats. This enables Forrest to create a unified document collection
>>that can be hosted dynamically or generated from the command-line and
>>deployed with an automated robot.
>

> Getting better, but I don't like the last sentence because it sounds
> like a document collection generated from the command line would be
> deployed with an automated robot, and I think you mean this the other
> way around

Nope, that is exactly what I mean. See
http://forrest.apache.org/proposal-asf-forrestbot.html (we have
documentation on teh forrestbot but it seems to have disppeared from the
website in our recent reogranisation).

> Actually, I'm not sure that most potential users having a first look
> at forrest would know what you mean by "robot", and they might even
> find it off-putting.  It's ok, but is there some other word that would
> be less mysterious and still serve the purpose?

Well if you, as a user, find it mysterious that's a problem.
Furthermore, if you, as a user with some knowledge of Forrest, can
misinterpret it then there is clearly a problem with the last sentence :-)

How about replacing "automated robot" with "automated publishing
application"? Increases our word count by one but if we get more clarity
as a result I think it is worth it.

> Anyway, I'll probably check out now.  Good luck, and thanks to all of
> you for your work on forrest.

Thanks for your feedback, it is extremely valuable to us. We hope to see
more of you.

Ross