forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Lenya and forrest integration
Date Wed, 20 Apr 2005 19:05:03 GMT
Thorsten Scherler wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-04-20 at 19:09 +0100, Ross Gardler wrote:
>
>>Thorsten Scherler wrote:
>>
>>>Sorry for the crosspost but it seems to be from interest for both
>>>lists. ;-)
>>>
>>>Hello devs,
>>>
>>>my customer wants to have forrest in lenya (or vice versa). :)
>>>
>>>The question that pops into to my head is the compatibility between the
>>>cocoon versions used by lenya/forrest.
>>>
>>>Lenya is officially supporting 2.1.6 (but 2.1.7 is working fine).
>>>Forrest is using 2.2-dev.
>>>
>>>Will I run into problems because of that?
>>
>>I don't know about that but...
>>

>>>What do both lists think how to overcome this problem?
>>>
>>>I reckon I have to change the dir structure from either lenya or forrest
>>>to make the forrest project files editable within lenya. Which app would
>>>be best to "learn" the other site structure.
>>>
>>>What do both projects think which one should become the main app (lenya
>>>or forrest)?
>>
>>I looked into this some time back and decided that it was simply too
>>much effort to separate the various components of Lenya to allow it to
>>be cleanly integrated with Forrest (or vice-versa). At that time the
>>Lenya community were trying to make their system more modular, so things
>>may have changed. Furthermore, I am aware that you have a better
>>understanding of the Lenya internals than I do so perhaps you could do
>>what I was scared of attempting.
>>

> :) we just tried and it was looking pretty good till a certain point. We
> could just spend a day on it because the deadline of the project. ...but
> we will do it again in the next couple of months. :)

Sounds very similar to my own experience.

>>Instead I decided to use Daisy. I'm currently building a plugin to allow
>>Daisy content to be included in a Forrest site. You can find the code in
>>the whiteboard.
>>

> I will have a look to learn from you code maybe I can just change some
> things to make it work for lenya. ;-)

Well this is the second iteration of the plugin. I have a fully working
version that is hacked together but I don't like many ways I have done
things. So this version should be a big improvement. What would be great
is if we can work out a best practice for this kind of integration. I
would love to be able to do it for many different CMS systems, including
a load of Wiki's.

Imagine the value/flexibility of a Wikipedia plugin, coupled with a
Daisys plugin, coupled with a Lenya plugin (see my other reply with
respect to which is the main app).

Ross