forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Lenya and forrest integration
Date Wed, 20 Apr 2005 19:04:08 GMT
Gregor J. Rothfuss wrote:
> Thorsten Scherler wrote:

>> What do both projects think which one should become the main app (lenya
>> or forrest)?
>

> that's a funny question :)
>
> afaik forrest has no workflow, user management etc, so if you need
> those, the answer would be pretty clear.

I think the question is "should  Lenya become a Forrest plugin or
vice-versa". This is an important question because whichever is the
"main app" would have the ability to override functionality of the other.

For my case I chose for the CMS to run separately from the publication
engine (Forrest) and only integrate at the publication level. This makes
the CMS a plugin for Forrest.  The advantage of this way around is that
it allows multiple CMS systems to provide content for multiple Forrest
based sites.

On the other hand, if Forrest is embedded into Lenya as a presentation
engine I suspect you would only be able to use a single instance of
Lenya as a source for content. Whether this is a disadvantage or not
depends on the use case, for my own it is a problem.

Ross