forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Lenya and forrest integration
Date Wed, 20 Apr 2005 18:09:58 GMT
Thorsten Scherler wrote:
> Sorry for the crosspost but it seems to be from interest for both
> lists. ;-)
>
> Hello devs,
>
> my customer wants to have forrest in lenya (or vice versa). :)
>
> The question that pops into to my head is the compatibility between the
> cocoon versions used by lenya/forrest.
>
> Lenya is officially supporting 2.1.6 (but 2.1.7 is working fine).
> Forrest is using 2.2-dev.
>
> Will I run into problems because of that?

I don't know about that but...

> What do both lists think how to overcome this problem?
>
> I reckon I have to change the dir structure from either lenya or forrest
> to make the forrest project files editable within lenya. Which app would
> be best to "learn" the other site structure.
>
> What do both projects think which one should become the main app (lenya
> or forrest)?

I looked into this some time back and decided that it was simply too
much effort to separate the various components of Lenya to allow it to
be cleanly integrated with Forrest (or vice-versa). At that time the
Lenya community were trying to make their system more modular, so things
may have changed. Furthermore, I am aware that you have a better
understanding of the Lenya internals than I do so perhaps you could do
what I was scared of attempting.

Instead I decided to use Daisy. I'm currently building a plugin to allow
Daisy content to be included in a Forrest site. You can find the code in
the whiteboard.

So, if Daisy is a viable alternative to Lenya for you then perhaps I can
save you some work ;-)

Ross