forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Re: describe Forrest in 50 words
Date Wed, 20 Apr 2005 17:11:07 GMT
Brett Presnell wrote:
> David Crossley <crossley@apache.org> writes:
>
>>Here is the proposal so far ..
>>------------
>>Apache Forrest is an XML standards-oriented documentation
>>framework based upon Apache Cocoon and separation of concerns.
>>Using a plugin architecture, various source input formats are
>>transformed and aggregated with other sources into various
>>output formats. This presents a unified document structure
>>and design at the output stage. Forrest can be used as a
>>dynamic application, or can generate sets of documents via
>>the command-line, and deploy with an automated robot.
>>------------
>>
>>That is 70 words. Looking at the other project
>>descriptions at www.apache.org/foundation/projects.html
>>that puts us second behind Cocoon (77) and in front of
>>Struts (65).
>>
>>Does anyone have more comments? We need to target the
>>description somewhere between the user and developer.
>

> As a one-time and, I hope, future user of forrest, I thought I might
> try to chip in here.

Excellent, you are exactly the kind of person we need feedback from. Thanks.

> Taking David's version as my starting point, my
> attempt comes to 49 words:
>
>    Apache Forrest is a standards-based documentation framework based
>    on Apache Cocoon.  Forrest emphasizes separation of presentation
>    and content, using a plugin architecture to transform and aggregate
>    a variety of input formats into a unified document which may be
>    generated statically or dynamically from sources.  Output formats
>    include HTML and PDF.

I like where this is going. My observations are:

- "unified document" implies a single document which is not always true.
We have also lost the emphasis that we create multiple output documents.

- we've lost the idea of "deployment by an automated robot" which is
very important for many of our current and potential users.

- the last sentence seems unimportant as this will be prominent in a
features list and I expect most users would expect those two formats.

This makes my slightly modified version come out at 62 words (brings us
under the struts Benchmark, but takes us back over the magic 50 word
mark, over to someone else to bring it back down again - which part of
my addition is unimportant?) :

Apache Forrest is a standards-based documentation framework based
on Apache Cocoon. Forrest emphasizes separation of presentation
and content through a plugin architecture for transforming and
aggregating a variety of input sources into one or more output
formats. This enables Forrest to create a unified document collection
that can be hosted dynamically or generated from the command-line and
deployed with an automated robot.

Ross