forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Re: describe Forrest in 50 words
Date Tue, 19 Apr 2005 22:46:12 GMT
David Crossley wrote:
> A while ago we discussed our description of Forrest
> and concluded that it was a bit limiting.
>
> Actually trying to concisely summarise Forrest
> is a very difficult task.
>
> Here is what is was ...
> ------------
> Apache Forrest is an XML standards-oriented documentation framework
> based upon Apache Cocoon, providing XSLT stylesheets and schemas,
> images and other resources. Forrest uses these to render the source
> content into a website via command-line, robot, or dynamic application.
> ------------
>
> Here is my proposal so far ...
> ------------
> Apache Forrest is an XML standards-oriented documentation framework
> based upon Apache Cocoon and separation of concerns. Using a plugin
> architecture, various source input formats are transformed into a
> common internal format, aggregated with other sources, and
> transformed into various output formats. Forrest can be used as
> a dynamic application or can generate sets of documents via the
> command-line and deploy with an automated robot.
> ------------

Two points, one a possible addition, the other a possible red herring.

[OT: does "red herring" make sense to the non-English speakers here, I'm
not sure it would work in a literal translation?, just in case it means
"A distractor that draws attention away from the real issue."
(http://csmp.ucop.edu/crlp/resources/glossary.html)]

First the possible Red Herring:

Highlighting the "internal format" concept we may be asking for trouble.
This appears to be the most common cause for concern for new
users/developers. For example, "what is it?", "wouldn't XYZ be a better
format?", "why do we need one?", and by far the most common "won't we
lose semantic clarity?".

I would consider simply removing the reference to the internal format
and focus on the transformation from one format to another.

Secondly the potential addition?

Perhaps add something like:

"Thus Forrest can present a unified document structure and design at the
  output stage regardless of the chosen input formats."

Ross