forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Reinhard Poetz <reinh...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Proposal] New format for skinconf
Date Wed, 13 Apr 2005 06:20:28 GMT
Thorsten Scherler wrote:
> Gidday,
>
> here is a proposal for a new skinconf format.
> http://svn.apache.org/viewcvs/forrest/trunk/plugins/org.apache.forrest.plugin.viewHelper/src/documentation/skinconf.proposal.xml?view=auto&rev=160783
>
> This is based on the recent user discussion (skinconf text elements in
> group.svg) which showed again that our skinconf needs to be more
> extensible without touching the dtd.
>
> e.g.
> <forrest:property contract="copyright">
>   <!-- The following are used to construct a copyright statement -->
>   <year>2005</year>
>   <vendor>The Apache Software Foundation.</vendor>
>   <copyright-link>http://www.apache.org/licenses/</copyright-link>
> </forrest:property>
>
> The idea is to allow all xml within a forrest:property.
>
> WDYT?

[Sorry if I completly miss the point but as skinconf bothered me some hours a
few weeks ago I can't resist on commenting on this]

The Cocoon project has the need for many repositories in the future. We will
split our codebase in many blocks and each block will become as independant as
possible. This is also valid for the documentation with the reuslt that we get
many Forrest repos.

So far this isn't really difficult. But, it becomes interesting if you want to
have all those repos having the same look without manually copy files around but
this is a problem as skinconf contains project specific information and
information how the final docs are styled.

I ended up in using XML entities (see
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/cocoon/trunk/src/documentation/src/skinconf.xml)
  and svn:externals to merge content+project_specific_information with Cocoon
wide styling information (CSS, custom sitemap). This solved my problem (for now).

I haven't had a look at plugins yet (sorry, I'm still using Forrest 0.6) - if
you tell me that the use of them will solve my problem in the future, just
forget this request - otherwise I would be interested in discussing the Forrest
and properties topic with you.

                                        web(log): http://www.poetz.cc