forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <>
Subject Re: plugin naming convention
Date Tue, 05 Apr 2005 11:42:27 GMT
David Crossley wrote:
> Ross Gardler wrote:
>>David Crossley wrote:
>>>I see that many of our plugins, even new ones, are not using
>>>the naming convention.
>>>... snipped from plugins/pluginInfrastructure.html
>>>In addition the name of the plugin should indicate
>>>the type of plugin it is:
>>>Should we amend the existing names before the 0.7 release?
>>>Should we get plugins/build.xml seedPlugin target to
>>>append the -$type part.
>>I forgot I'd written that ;-)
>>The practice I have been following is that if it is an input plugin then
>>it need not have the extension (given that most plugins are input.
>>However, this is probably not ideal since it is an exception to the rule.
>>I'd say that, for the 0.7 release we should make all the names conform
>>to the documented standard and deprecate all the old plugins (this is OK
>>since the plugin infrastructure is part of the 0.7-dev work).
> Why "deprecate"? Rather we should just rename (and mention
> the consolidation in changelog).

I just figured that we could just leave the old zip files in place so
that people wouldn't have to update their However,
now you ask the question I realise it would also mean leaving them in
plugins.xml which will be confusing. Since we are in alpha there is no
need to do this.

+1 to name changes.

View raw message