forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Ferdinand Soethe <samm...@soethe.net>
Subject Q: Site and unique element names
Date Wed, 20 Apr 2005 11:38:52 GMT
I know this has come up before, but I'm not sure which of the info in
old threads is still relevant today so I'll ask again:

Why does Forrest expect unique element names in site.xml.

One reason I found in the archives is that you need to have a unique
ID to distinguish between two entries pointing to the same file such
as

<about1 label="About 1">
    <index label="Index" href="index.html" description="Welcome to MyProj"/>
</about>

<about2 label="About 2">
    <index label="Index from somewhere else" href="index.html" description="Welcome to
MyProj"/>
</about>

But then, why not use an ID-Attribute to achieve this?

Two reasons for my question:

- For Forrest to be used by "normal people" it would be great to be
  able to use a grammar aware editor and its functions to simplify creation and
  insure accurate structure. Unfortunately having open element names AFAIK keeps
  me from writing a grammar and validating against it.

- Studying the IMSManifest-plugin-code I realized (I think) that it generates
  several elements with the same name. Does that mean that different
  element names are only required for some special tricks and are not
  a requirement?

  If so, I would probably try and write an internal plugin that
  accepts a simple and grammar based structure file and generates site
  and tab.xml from it.

  Something for dummy users that might look like:

<tab label="First Tab" url="File1.html">
  <menu label="First menu on first tab" url="File11.html">
    <menu label="First submenu in first menu on first tab" url="File111.html">
      <page label="First Page"  url="file111a.html"/>
      <page label="Second Page"  url="file111b.html"/>
    </menu>
    ... more submenues
  </menu>
  ... more menues