forrest-dev mailing list archives

From David Crossley <cross...@apache.org>
Subject Re: describe Forrest in 50 words
Date Thu, 28 Apr 2005 09:37:01 GMT
Johannes Schaefer wrote:
> Now that David gave the last version,
> I'll try to comment ... also dared a look
> into the archive.
>
> HERE'S MY TRY:
> Apache Forrest is a publishing framework that accepts
> various input sources and transforms them into a unified
> document collection strictly separating content and
> presentation.
> It is standards-based, employing Apache Cocoon and
> a plugin architecture which makes it modular and
> extensible.
> Forrest can be used as a dynamic application,
> to generate a static result or completely automated.
>                                            WORDCOUNT=58
>

> Comments:
> * Easier wording. For me as a non-native speaker the prev.
>   versions were harder to understand. Shorter sentences.
>   (Please correct any errors in my English!)

I don't see any such.

> * Put the main thing up-front: what forrest does. Then
>   something about the architecture, then the options.

Good idea.

> * I'm not very happy with the last sentence.

Me either. I prefer the previous version of that sentence.

> * For discussion: "publishing" instead of "documentation"
>   framework. This includes web publishing, classic
>   documentation (read books, articles), online help etc.

Does publishing cover intranet documentation systems,
say inside a factory? I would think so.

> * We might want to spend an extra word, saying "extremely
>   modular and extensible".

Not necessary.

> What do you think?

Brilliant work. I would only tweak the last sentence
to have better words than "static result" and the
"completely automated" seems to lose some of the meaning.

What do others think? I reckon that we are getting close.

Don't get too hung up on the 50 word thing. Even 70
would be okay, though the more concise the better.

And hey, i love your style of commenting by providing
your reasoning.

--David