forrest-dev mailing list archives

From David Crossley <>
Subject Re: Q: Site and unique element names
Date Thu, 21 Apr 2005 07:51:32 GMT
Ferdinand Soethe wrote:
> I know this has come up before, but I'm not sure which of the info in
> old threads is still relevant today so I'll ask again:

If you remind us what came up before, then we might be able
to tell you if still relevant.

> Why does Forrest expect unique element names in site.xml.
> One reason I found in the archives is that you need to have a unique
> ID to distinguish between two entries pointing to the same file such
> as
> <about1 label="About 1">
>     <index label="Index" href="index.html" description="Welcome to MyProj"/>
> </about>
> <about2 label="About 2">
>     <index label="Index from somewhere else" href="index.html" description="Welcome
to MyProj"/>
> </about>

I am confused as to what is your issue.
It doesn't expect unique element names.

Refer to them with site:about1/index and site:about2/index
Or did i miss the point.

> But then, why not use an ID-Attribute to achieve this?

I just glanced through the Forrest docs that Ross referred to.
The original mail thread is linked and it shows the use of
the id attributes. Don't know if that followed through to

> Two reasons for my question:
> - For Forrest to be used by "normal people" it would be great to be
>   able to use a grammar aware editor and its functions to simplify creation and
>   insure accurate structure. Unfortunately having open element names AFAIK keeps
>   me from writing a grammar and validating against it.

A grammar could still be written. There is an example

> - Studying the IMSManifest-plugin-code I realized (I think) that it generates
>   several elements with the same name. Does that mean that different
>   element names are only required for some special tricks and are not
>   a requirement?
>   If so, I would probably try and write an internal plugin that
>   accepts a simple and grammar based structure file and generates site
>   and tab.xml from it.
>   Something for dummy users that might look like:
> <tab label="First Tab" url="File1.html">
>   <menu label="First menu on first tab" url="File11.html">
>     <menu label="First submenu in first menu on first tab" url="File111.html">
>       <page label="First Page"  url="file111a.html"/>
>       <page label="Second Page"  url="file111b.html"/>
>     </menu>
>     ... more submenues
>   </menu>
>   ... more menues