forrest-dev mailing list archives

From David Crossley <cross...@apache.org>
Subject Re: describe Forrest in 50 words
Date Wed, 20 Apr 2005 23:47:20 GMT
Brett Presnell wrote:
> Ross Gardler <rgardler@apache.org> writes:
> >Brett Presnell wrote:
[ snip ]
> >> Getting better, but I don't like the last sentence because it sounds
> >> like a document collection generated from the command line would be
> >> deployed with an automated robot, and I think you mean this the other
> >> way around
> >
> > Nope, that is exactly what I mean. See
> > http://forrest.apache.org/proposal-asf-forrestbot.html (we have
> > documentation on teh forrestbot but it seems to have disppeared from
> > the website in our recent reogranisation).

It is there getting ready for the release:
http://forrest.apache.org/0.7/docs/forrestbot.html

> Hmmm, so robot != tomcat after all, and instead robot == forrestbot?

Since you phrased it as a question, the answer is yes.

> In my own usage I was using forrest with tomcat for development, but
> for deployment I would generate a static version, and so I identified
> "generated from the command-line" with static.  Forrestbot never
> really entered my conciousness.

There are various methods for Forrest:

*) Dynamic application: local webapp for quick edit/view/review
aka 'forrest run' (uses the packaged Jetty server).

*) Dynamic application: as a webapp runnng in Jetty/Tomcat/etc.

*) Command-line: generate a complete static document collection
aka 'forrest'.

*) Forrestbot: automated building and deployment of a complete
static document collection. It can be run via cron or has a
webapp interface to enable triggering the build/deploy and
for viewing the log output.

We are trying to cram that into one sentence :-)

> But, considering my usage as an example, isn't it true that the robot
> is a somewhat separate issue from static versus dynamic.  The current
> wording makes it sound like the only options are dynamically hosted or
> deployed with a robot.  I think that's what was indirectly causing my
> confusion, since I knew there was another possibility.

Thanks for your help Brett. All contributions will go
into the mix.

--David