forrest-dev mailing list archives

From David Crossley <cross...@apache.org>
Subject describe Forrest in 50 words
Date Mon, 18 Apr 2005 01:03:31 GMT
A while ago we discussed our description of Forrest
and concluded that it was a bit limiting.

Actually trying to concisely summarise Forrest
is a very difficult task.

Here is what is was ...
------------
Apache Forrest is an XML standards-oriented documentation framework
based upon Apache Cocoon, providing XSLT stylesheets and schemas,
images and other resources. Forrest uses these to render the source
content into a website via command-line, robot, or dynamic application.
------------

Here is my proposal so far ...
Apache Forrest is an XML standards-oriented documentation framework
based upon Apache Cocoon and separation of concerns. Using a plugin
architecture, various source input formats are transformed into a
common internal format, aggregated with other sources, and
transformed into various output formats. Forrest can be used as
a dynamic application or can generate sets of documents via the
command-line and deploy with an automated robot.