forrest-dev mailing list archives

From David Crossley <cross...@apache.org>
Subject Re: problem with docs at forrest.apache.org/docs/dev/
Date Tue, 05 Apr 2005 12:19:32 GMT
Ross Gardler wrote:
> David Crossley wrote:
> >>Ross Gardler wrote:
> >>How do people suggest I integrate the plugin docs with the main website
> >>docs?
> >
> >If they went under docs/plugins/$plugin-name/
> >then they will fit better with the versioning system
> >described above.
>
> OK, that's where I'll put them then.
>
> I assume we want to SVN them into place in the way I've prototyped (see
> commit above), rather than duplicate the xdocs in the docs-author site.

It would be nice to have the docs available locally too,
but that sounds hard to achieve. So yes, do what you said.

> Note, that the point to link into these docs will therefore be
> docs/plugins/index.html. That page will contain a link to all the
> individual plugin documents.
>
> One more thing that struck me about plugins. We have a potential
> nightmare with versioning docs. There are two version numbers we can
> work against, the Forrest one and the plugin one. The idea is that
> plugins can be release independently of Forrest.
>
> So we could have Forrest 0.7 with OK for versions 0.1, 0.2 and 0.3 of
> plugin X, whilst 0.4 will only work in Forrest 0.8.
>
> Do we want to worry about maintaining docs for each version of the
> plugin as well? For example
>
> f.o.a/0.7/docs/plugins/o.a.f.p.PLUGINNAME/0.1
> f.o.a/0.7/docs/plugins/o.a.f.p.PLUGINNAME/0.2
> f.o.a/0.7/docs/plugins/o.a.f.p.PLUGINNAME/0.3
> f.o.a/0.8/docs/plugins/o.a.f.p.PLUGINNAME/0.4
>
> Note that in this case, if 0.4 of the plugin works in 0.7 of Forrest we
> should also have the 0.4 plugin docs in the 0.7 branch. This starts to
> get horribly complicated.

Erk, the same horrid thought ocurred to me.

I hope that we can get away with just having one set
of docs for each major version. Let us start with that
and change it later if we need to. As i say that,
it sounds very unsatisfactory ... i don't know what to do.

--David