forrest-dev mailing list archives

From David Crossley <cross...@apache.org>
Subject Re: problem with docs at forrest.apache.org/docs/dev/
Date Fri, 01 Apr 2005 03:54:32 GMT
David Crossley wrote:
> > Dave Brondsema wrote:
> > >
> > > /docs/dev/ nested below /docs/ seems weird.  I think it would be better
> > > to host the current stable release at a url like: /docs/0.7/.  This
> > > would also permit us to keep documentation for all old releases
> > > (although we would probably want warnings on them if they are too old).
> > >
> > > 0.6 docs had to be kept at /docs/ because they didn't have a split
> > > docs/site structure so I kept it as-is.  I had been thinking we'd move
> > > to something like /docs/0.7/ for future releases, but I can't find any
> > > discussion about this in particular.
> >
> > We probably jumped to the conclusion that we only would have
> > the current release and the current dev version.
> >
> > I agree with this new approach. So would it be like this ...
> >
> > Assuming that we don't want to version the top-level docs.
>
> Is that a legitimate assumption? It would change our layout if we do.
> I don't know the answer yet either.
>
> > f.a.o/ ... the top-level docs, from trunk/site-author
> > f.a.o/docs/ ... is .htaccess to redirect to current release docs.
> > f.a.o/docs/0.6/ ... from the forrest_06_branch (*)
> > f.a.o/docs/0.7/ ... from the forrest_07_branch, when it is released
> > f.a.o/docs/0.8/ ... the next development, from future trunk/docs-author/

Let us see what the other solution would be.
(Say that "current release" is 0.7)

f.a.o/ ... the top-level docs, .htaccess to redirect to 0.7 top-level
f.a.o/docs/ ... .htaccess to redirect to 0.7/docs/
f.a.o/0.6/ ... from the forrest_06_branch
f.a.o/0.6/docs/ ... from the forrest_06_branch
f.a.o/0.7/ ... from the forrest_07_branch/site-author/
f.a.o/0.7/docs/ ... from the forrest_07_branch/docs-author/
f.a.o/0.8/ ... the next development, from the trunk/site-author/
f.a.o/0.8/docs/ ... from the trunk/docs-author/

The question really is whether we need to keep separate
versions on-line of the top-level docs. I hope not, but
we need to be sure.

We should investigate which docs would change enough
to warrant that:
* some instructions on index.html
* who.html
* license.html as it will change some time in the future
* the list of open issues
* ??? any more?

The download page could cause issues if there we multiple
versions of it.

> > Actually we should be able to establish this prior to the 0.7 release.
> >
> > [*] the 0.6 stuff will have some inconsistencies, which we can
> > fix in its branch, such as faq.html was one level up.
> >
> > The missing piece is that we need to clearly denote the version number
> > on all docs. We should be able to do something rough-and-ready
> > to get us by.
>
> That is fixed now. We can put a panel on the page and
> text after the html tile.

I presume that we would also direct robots to only index
the last three releases.

--David