forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Thorsten Scherler <thors...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Lenya and forrest integration
Date Wed, 20 Apr 2005 18:48:00 GMT
On Wed, 2005-04-20 at 19:09 +0100, Ross Gardler wrote:
> Thorsten Scherler wrote:
> > Sorry for the crosspost but it seems to be from interest for both
> > lists. ;-)
> >
> > Hello devs,
> >
> > my customer wants to have forrest in lenya (or vice versa). :)
> >
> > The question that pops into to my head is the compatibility between the
> > cocoon versions used by lenya/forrest.
> >
> > Lenya is officially supporting 2.1.6 (but 2.1.7 is working fine).
> > Forrest is using 2.2-dev.
> >
> > Will I run into problems because of that?
>
> I don't know about that but...
>
> > What do both lists think how to overcome this problem?
> >
> > I reckon I have to change the dir structure from either lenya or forrest
> > to make the forrest project files editable within lenya. Which app would
> > be best to "learn" the other site structure.
> >
> > What do both projects think which one should become the main app (lenya
> > or forrest)?
>
> I looked into this some time back and decided that it was simply too
> much effort to separate the various components of Lenya to allow it to
> be cleanly integrated with Forrest (or vice-versa). At that time the
> Lenya community were trying to make their system more modular, so things
> may have changed. Furthermore, I am aware that you have a better
> understanding of the Lenya internals than I do so perhaps you could do
> what I was scared of attempting.

:) we just tried and it was looking pretty good till a certain point. We
could just spend a day on it because the deadline of the project. ...but
we will do it again in the next couple of months. :)

In regards to the lenya internals I am now again on a project that is
build around lenya after 3 years. I still have some catching up to do
but I reckon I finally see a chance to do the integration within the
current project.

The 1.4 release of lenya will be one big step into the direction of real
modular components but it will at least take a couple of month till it
get out.

Further my client shares my opinion that he needs forrest within lenya.
One big seller actually is the view/viewHelper concept. ;-) I hope that
I am in luck and we can finish the work on the plugin and the
integration into lenya in a couple of months.

> Instead I decided to use Daisy. I'm currently building a plugin to allow
> Daisy content to be included in a Forrest site. You can find the code in
> the whiteboard.

I will have a look to learn from you code maybe I can just change some
things to make it work for lenya. ;-)

> So, if Daisy is a viable alternative to Lenya for you then perhaps I can
> save you some work ;-)

LOL cheers, but that is not an option. The customer is happy with lenya
(so am I).

...and I am a lenya committer. ;-)

--
thorsten