forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Thorsten Scherler <thors...@apache.org>
Subject Re: describe Forrest in 50 words
Date Wed, 20 Apr 2005 17:27:43 GMT
:)

Nice one, Brett, and welcome to forrest.

I only would change just one sentence.

On Wed, 2005-04-20 at 07:03 -0400, Brett Presnell wrote:
> David Crossley <crossley@apache.org> writes:
> >
> > Here is the proposal so far ..
> > ------------
> > Apache Forrest is an XML standards-oriented documentation
> > framework based upon Apache Cocoon and separation of concerns.
> > Using a plugin architecture, various source input formats are
> > transformed and aggregated with other sources into various
> > output formats. This presents a unified document structure
> > and design at the output stage. Forrest can be used as a
> > dynamic application, or can generate sets of documents via
> > the command-line, and deploy with an automated robot.
> > ------------
> >
> > That is 70 words. Looking at the other project
> > descriptions at www.apache.org/foundation/projects.html
> > that puts us second behind Cocoon (77) and in front of
> > Struts (65).
> >
> > Does anyone have more comments? We need to target the
> > description somewhere between the user and developer.
>
> As a one-time and, I hope, future user of forrest, I thought I might
> try to chip in here.  Taking David's version as my starting point, my
> attempt comes to 49 words:
>
>    Apache Forrest is a standards-based documentation framework based
>    on Apache Cocoon.  Forrest emphasizes separation of presentation
>    and content, using a plugin architecture to transform and aggregate
>    a variety of input formats into a unified document which may be
>    generated statically or dynamically from sources.  Output formats
>    include HTML and PDF.

The following sentence seems to be too focused on pdf/html
Output formats
>    include HTML and PDF.

Maybe something *like* this:
Forrest supports a wide range of output formats (html, pdf,...).

Cheers for the feedback (and we hope you stay). ;-)
--
thorsten

"Together we stand, divided we fall!"
Hey you (Pink Floyd)