forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Thorsten Scherler <thors...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Proposal] New format for skinconf
Date Wed, 13 Apr 2005 22:14:03 GMT
On Wed, 2005-04-13 at 21:23 +0200, Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
> Thorsten Scherler wrote:
> > On Wed, 2005-04-13 at 13:42 +0200, Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
> >>  - making a skin have a default skinconf that can be overridden: in
> >>this way, all Apache could have an Apache skin with the copyright
> >>already set, and a consistent look;
> >
> > Hmm, in 0.8 we will not have the traditional skins that we have right
> > now. They become views based on contracts.
>
> I hope that's not what we are going to tell our users =-)

Why not? We are >1.0 and we are enhancing everyday. Why should I not
tell the user that the things we have done before now we can do better?

> > This contracts can be written
> > the way you just suggested. Create a default copyright contract that can
> > be used apache wide.
> >
> > ....BUT I would not suggest to keep it in the skinconf. The skinconf is
> > to inflexible due to the fact that it is configuring the WHOLE site and
> > not only on a per page/document base. What would you do when you have a
> > one page or a couple of pages with different copyright notices?
>
> This is part of the other thread, the per-page based properties.
> Skinconf should be only the default for each section or page, that can
> overried it's values, I agree.
>
> I think I have to stop here on this, as one should now mix that thread
> with this conclusion and come to a unified design, and I'm too tired.
>
> Wanna try? :-)

I am not only trying, dude. It is out there! Install the plugins and
have a look.

I am talking since November last year about the concept and finally got
the chance to implement it because I could take the time.

I know that the skins are coming from you and they are REALLY great but
they have their limitations. In the future I HOPE that the same some
committer will say regarding the view concept (I am already seeing
limitations that I do not like).

It is not about an unified design it is about to make it happen. I would
be VERY HAPPY if you can/will enhance the ideas and the design.

To be honest I am only implementing it because I want to use forrest for
my own personal webpage (nothing more and nothing less) and I am sad
that you are tired because YOU ARE the one that we need to make it
really a success.

...but I guess that is your personal decision and I respect it because I
respect your work.

salu2
--
thorsten