forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Thorsten Scherler <thors...@apache.org>
Subject Re: suite of helper xsl templates (Was: svn commit: r160775)
Date Mon, 11 Apr 2005 06:19:28 GMT
On Mon, 2005-04-11 at 11:36 +1000, David Crossley wrote:
> > I defined it in the viewHelper output.xmap like
> > <map:match pattern="dotdots">
> >   <map:generate src="{forrest:context}/skins/common/xslt/html/dotdots.xsl"/>
> >   <map:serialize type="xml"/>
> > </map:match>
> >
> > http://svn.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/forrest/trunk/plugins/org.apache.forrest.plugin.viewHelper/output.xmap?view=markup
> >
> > ...and then using it in prepare.xhtml.xsl like
> > <alias:import href="cocoon://dotdots"/>
> >
> > http://svn.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/forrest/trunk/plugins/org.apache.forrest.plugin.view/resources/stylesheets/prepare.xhtml.xsl?view=markup
> >
> > Maybe we should declare the common helper stylesheets in the core and
> > this way could use them in the plugins.
>
> Yes, i noticed what you did while i was preparing my patch.
> However, i have never seen this use of
> <alias:import href="cocoon://..."/>
> so i did my quick fix until i can get my head around it.

:)

<alias:import/> will result in a dynamic import. The solution that we
have right now (regarding view/viewHelper) will generate dynamically the
xsl for the final step of the transformation.

...xmlns:alias="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/TransformAlias">
  <xsl:namespace-alias stylesheet-prefix="alias" result-prefix="xsl"/>

Here we switching namespaces for the resulting alias:*. The result is xsl but with alias as
namespace.

I implemented it like this because I thought is more effective to define
the templates I need for the transformation before. This way I will have
always only a subset of templates.

...but the drawback is that we do not know whether those pipes will be
cached by cocoon. I am thinking about a java class to get the templates,
store them in a JavaBean and then generating the final aggregated
stylesheet (that only contains "needed" templates) out of the javaBeans
but I reckon that we can discuss after 0.7 release.

> Yes i reckon that we should have some method for a library
> of helper xsl templates.

+1 That should be valid for the copyless approach. This way the usage of
the core xsl helper templates will be more effective in plugins.

--
thorsten

"Together we stand, divided we fall!"
Hey you (Pink Floyd)