forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Thorsten Scherler <thors...@apache.org>
Subject Re: 2nd generation skinning - view and leather
Date Mon, 04 Apr 2005 22:17:56 GMT
On Mon, 2005-04-04 at 20:42 +0100, Ross Gardler wrote:
> Thorsten Scherler wrote:
>
> > If somebody have some spare time and want to help us with the "2nd
> > generation skinning" you can:
>
> I will certainly be helping out, but not until 0.7 is released. Once
> that is done this is right at the top of my ToDo list.

Dude, no hurries.

You know more or less know what I am trying to do. Now I need more
devs/user and committer (junior/senior) looking in the stuff and give
me/us feedback.

I think it would be a good idea to plan the view/leather as default
skinning mechanism for 0.8. That would makes it possible to develop the
skinning engine for 0.9 and have a stable version on our 1.0. :)

...but for that I need some eyes on the code and NOT ONLY yours and
mine!!! Actually I wish especially that Nicola would have a look and
play devils advocate. ;-)

David had a look on it this morning (I am still waiting for things you
do [not] like). ;-)

Sorry for being pain in the a***, but I need some enhancement suggestion
because I am relative happy with the concept but not really with my
implementation (it is still proof of concept). ;-)

One important thing IMO is to officially define an interface for skins
and views. Leather has it (e.g.
cocoon://get.contract.{contract-name}.{format}) but as well contains the
implementations. I reckon the given example match would be better of in
the view plugin which define the interface.

New skins would need only to provide new implementations of contracts
and not define the interface again. That will make it necessary to
change some matches but actually I only have not implemented it yet to
not deciding the future of skins all by myself and bringing more
complexity to the things I am doing.

Talking about complexity, I was teaching my students the MVC pattern and
must admit that I see our nuggets as result of models. This models
depend on the document specific meta data (forrest:properties). They
deliver our intermediate format.

Now the view/leather plugins are a mix of controller and view in my eyes
that is the reason (I guess) Ross et. al. having problems to understand
me because I am mixing things in the code and do not have a clear
separation.

...and that is the reason why I need feedback. ;-)

TIA

salu2
--
thorsten