forrest-dev mailing list archives

From "Jean T. Anderson" <...@bristowhill.com>
Subject Re: DITA plugin (Derby history)
Date Thu, 31 Mar 2005 21:19:08 GMT
Ross Gardler wrote:
> Jean T. Anderson wrote:
> <snip />
>> We'd like to do a separate forrest project for
>> repos/asf/incubator/derby/docs and use forrest to build the manuals
>> from dita source, then copy those built docs into the derby web site
>> source -- but not under xdocs. We don't need to rebuild the docs each
>> time the derby web site is built.
>
> Do you want the site navigation on the DITA docs?

Users want pdf and html as whole books and as books in pieces -- much of
this is captured at http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DERBY-79 , but
much still needs to be specified. I expect users to want some set of
files hooked into the site navigation, but many fewer than what we have now.

The current setup at
http://incubator.apache.org/derby/manuals/index.html isn't optimal. 748
*.ihtml files get rendered into 748 *.html files, and this has the
following problems:

1) Users don't like having quite so many files (captured in the
http://mail-archives.eu.apache.org/mod_mbox/db-derby-dev/200410.mbox/%3c200410071315.32497.Joel.Rosi-Schwartz@Etish.org%3e

thread).

2) 'forrest site' takes anywhere from 15-60 minutes depending on the
speed of your processor and available memory. I have a 64bit processor
and 2gig of memory, and it takes me 10-15 minutes.

3) 748 files are too many to be listed in the menu. Right now just the
table of contents and index page are listed for each book. But I
included the rest of the files in the site.xml (without a label) so when
you click on a page it keeps the association with the manuals tab.
However, it loses the association with a specific book. Clunky.

With DITA there are 1048 files -- I'm the main advocate for keeping them
out of the derby web site's xdoc directory. :-)

  -jean