forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Re: DITA plugin
Date Thu, 31 Mar 2005 20:21:10 GMT
Jean T. Anderson wrote:
> Jeff Levitt wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>> I am new to this list.  I am a Derby contributor, and
>> I wanted to see if I could help out with Ross's Jira
>> issue:
>>
>> http://issues.cocoondev.org/browse/FOR-461
>>
>> I created the DITA docs that Derby is using for
>> documentation, and since we use Forrest for our site,
>> it would be nice if we could throw our XML DITA files
>> into directories within our xdocs/ directory and get a
>> working site with html output in there using the DITA
>> toolkit.
>>  <snip />
>

> minor clarification ....
>
> Instead of putting dita source files in the derby web site source
> (repos/asf/incubator/derby/site) xdocs directory, dita source is
> currently in a separate location at repos/asf/incubator/derby/docs.

OK

> We'd like to do a separate forrest project for
> repos/asf/incubator/derby/docs and use forrest to build the manuals from
> dita source, then copy those built docs into the derby web site source
> -- but not under xdocs. We don't need to rebuild the docs each time the
> derby web site is built.

Do you want the site navigation on the DITA docs?

> So far my understanding is that 'forrest site' is an all or nothing deal
> for all files under xdocs. For example, if we put dita source under
> xdocs we couldn't tell forrest to exclude building those. --Or could we?

No this is not the case, although exactly how we would achieve this
depends on some other issues. We'll return to this when I understand
exactly what we are generating and how you see it being integrated into
the site.

Thanks for making this clear at a nice early stage though - it's nice
working with techies who realise the significance of "minor" details (as
opposed to clients like my current one ;-))

Ross