forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Re: better use of Jira for Forrest
Date Tue, 22 Mar 2005 17:06:56 GMT
Dave Brondsema wrote:
> Quoting David Crossley <crossley@apache.org>:
>

>>Done. That clarifies the Roadmap.
>>
>>Do any people out in the Forrest dev community
>>know other things that we can do to improve our use
>>of Jira? Or point to projects that use it well.
>>

> Many projects periodically do a "bug day" where everyone spends time
> investigating, updating and resolving issues.  This could be useful for us
> because it seems that a lot of our issues are very old and/or incomplete.
> There are also minor issues that very few people care about (maybe nobody
> anymore) which are not worth spending time on.
>
> The problem, of course, would be to coordinate such a day, especially given
> our geographical spread.  It doesn't have to be simultaneous work, though.  We
> could even do a week of bug-squashing.

I would (time allowing - that's a coordination issue) participate in any
such activity. I'd like to propose something slightly different though.
My motivation for the slight variation is that we are, as you say, a
small number of developers with a wide distribution across the time
zones. Lets use the distribution to our advantage and try and use this
time to bring in some more developers.

There are a number of folk who have recently started to explore the
inner workings of Forrest. I doubt that they have much inclination for
fixing outstanding bugs - where's the fun in working out how something
works to fix a bug that isn't affecting them. I am sure they are more
interested in doing cool new things.

If we can find a way to coordinate things so that there will be at least
one core developer available via some kind of chat mechanism (instant
message or even voice, via Skype) then that developer would be available
to to guide people in fixing bugs and would be able immediately commit
the patches.

We might therefore be able to attract some other developers.

I'm up for whatever we decide is best.

Ross