forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Dave Brondsema <d...@brondsema.net>
Subject Re: problem with docs at forrest.apache.org/docs/dev/
Date Fri, 18 Mar 2005 15:16:00 GMT
Ross Gardler wrote:
> David Crossley wrote:
>
>> Just a quick note, gotta rush out now. Yes there was stacks of discussion
>> on this topic, but its good to be sure that we all understand, and maybe
>> there is a flaw.
>>
>> The docs that are currently at docs/dev/ are 0.7-dev
>> They will move to /docs/ when the next release happens.
>> Then /docs/dev/ will become 0.8-dev and 0.6 (i.e. current /docs/)
>> goes offline.
>

> Yes, that's the problem, all the mail archive links will be broken (in
> the sense they will refer to a different document from that referred to
> when the question was answered).
>
> Ross

/docs/dev/ nested below /docs/ seems weird.  I think it would be better
to host the current stable release at a url like: /docs/0.7/.  This
would also permit us to keep documentation for all old releases
(although we would probably want warnings on them if they are too old).

0.6 docs had to be kept at /docs/ because they didn't have a split
docs/site structure so I kept it as-is.  I had been thinking we'd move
to something like /docs/0.7/ for future releases, but I can't find any
discussion about this in particular.

We should give links to documentation using a stable release, not
/docs/dev (unless of course the issues in question is new to the dev
version).  That will keep all of our archived links good.

--
Dave Brondsema : dave@brondsema.net
http://www.splike.com : programming