forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Arik Kfir <arikk...@users.sourceforge.net>
Subject Re: Embedding forrest in custom software
Date Sun, 13 Mar 2005 18:34:29 GMT
Hi Thorsten,

Thorsten Scherler wrote:

>On Sat, 2005-03-12 at 20:26 +0200, Arik Kfir wrote:
>

>>Hello,
>>
>>We are thinking about embedding Forrest as a content generation engine
>>in our software.
>>

>Apache lenya is trying to do the same thing. :)
>
>I changed the response address to the dev list because we discuss such
>things in the dev list. ;-)

Actually I intentionally sent it to the user list because even though
I'm embedding forrest in other software, I'm using it as a forrest
user...but on the other hand, this subject can/might get technical so
perhaps it's better...

>> Currently, the direction we want to take is simply
>>embedding the Ant runtime itself, and use it to activate Forrest.
>>
>>In details we will:
>>1. Add the Ant JAR files into our classpath.
>>

>+1
>

>>2. Add the xml-forrest.jar to the classpath
>>

>+1
>

>>3. Add required JAR files from Forrest's "lib" directory to the
>>classpath (we're not sure which ones we really need - would appreciate
>>help on this).
>>

>That really depends which features of forrest you will going to use.

Yes, I think I'll manage to sort which ones I need...even if it will be
on a trial-by-error way ;-)  (I got a "ClassNotFound rain coming" fuzzy
feeling...)

>>4. Create a template project structure (e.g. src/documentation,
>>forrest.properties, etc) in a temporary directory
>>

>Why temporary directory?

This is due to the nature of the application we are writing - the
documentation submitted by the user goes through other modifications
because eventually coming to forrest, and so I need a "staging"
directory where the generated, forrest-ready, documentation will be
stored. But this has no barring on this subject.

>>5. Activate Ant in code (manually create the Project, etc) to run
>>Forrest via its standard build.xml file.
>>

>you wrote content generation engine, you will use then the normal
>"forrest"-target you mean?
>
>By following this target you will find out which other libs are
>involved.

10x, will check it out

>>Before I start working on this, I was wondering if anyone had any
>>experience in doing this, or any tips/tricks on the subject.
>>

>We are using in the 0.7 plugins to extract additional functionality from
>the core. Have a look on that. That will give you an idea.

I will, though it won't be too much "deep water" for me, as I'm not
fully proficient with the forrest internals (yet, I hope ;-))

>HTH
>

>>10x in advance!
>>    Arik Kfir.
>>

>salu2