forrest-dev mailing list archives

From David Crossley <cross...@apache.org>
Subject Re: better use of Jira for Forrest
Date Wed, 23 Mar 2005 00:03:13 GMT
Dave Brondsema wrote:
> Quoting Ross Gardler <rgardler@apache.org>:
> > Dave Brondsema wrote:

> > > Many projects periodically do a "bug day" where everyone spends time
> > > investigating, updating and resolving issues.  This could be useful for us
> >
> > > because it seems that a lot of our issues are very old and/or incomplete.
> >
> > > There are also minor issues that very few people care about (maybe nobody
> > > anymore) which are not worth spending time on.
> > >
> > > The problem, of course, would be to coordinate such a day, especially given
> >
> > > our geographical spread.  It doesn't have to be simultaneous work, though.

> > We
> > > could even do a week of bug-squashing.
> > >

> > I would (time allowing - that's a coordination issue) participate in any
> > such activity. I'd like to propose something slightly different though.
> > My motivation for the slight variation is that we are, as you say, a
> > small number of developers with a wide distribution across the time
> > zones. Lets use the distribution to our advantage and try and use this
> > time to bring in some more developers.
> >
> > There are a number of folk who have recently started to explore the
> > inner workings of Forrest. I doubt that they have much inclination for
> > fixing outstanding bugs - where's the fun in working out how something
> > works to fix a bug that isn't affecting them. I am sure they are more
> > interested in doing cool new things.
> >
> > If we can find a way to coordinate things so that there will be at least
> > one core developer available via some kind of chat mechanism (instant
> > message or even voice, via Skype) then that developer would be available
> > to to guide people in fixing bugs and would be able immediately commit
> > the patches.
> >
> > We might therefore be able to attract some other developers.
> >
> > I'm up for whatever we decide is best.
>
> Most groups use an irc channel for communication.  For us, we could use
> irc.freenode.net#forrest

Great idea Dave. We started something like this at Cocoon and it worked
very well for a while. The interest has waned lately though - not sure why.

We called it FirstFriday ... the first Friday of every month we did bug
squashing via irc.freenode.net#cocoon and dev@cocoon.a.o
It lasted for one full day from 09:00 UTC for 24 hours, giving everyone
a chance to be involved. This actually took advantage of the geographic
distribution to continuously work on some complex things.
http://wiki.apache.org/cocoon/FirstFriday

We should carefully choose the start time and the day.

We need to bear in mind the ASF principle, that all decisions
must be made on a mailing list. It is hard to balance this with
working on IRC.

> Yes, we should involve end-users by asking them to help with their particular
> bugs of interest.

It should be an excellent way for other Forrest developers to
become more involved.

--David