forrest-dev mailing list archives

From David Crossley <cross...@apache.org>
Subject Re: License question about Adobe Indesign
Date Sat, 19 Mar 2005 04:40:14 GMT
Thorsten Scherler wrote:
> Hello guys,
>
> I have a question about Adobe Indesign license.
>
> Would it be ok to partly reverse engineer the inx - format for us within
> a plugin?
>
> I am not talking about the whole format. I am talking about some
> attributes and storing habits of values.

I think we need more information to see what the issues might be.
Would you provide a URL to any license info. And is there an example
of what you are trying to create.

> The idea would be to have inx-templates (export format of an indesign
> file *.indd) and change some properties and add content. You would need
> Indesign installed to create templates, trying to say it can be from
> interest for Adobe if we would create such a plugin.

More details please about the outputs and inputs.
Which part does Forret handle?

Are their formats published?

> I found out that e.g. a box has a corresponding <crec/> tag. This tag
> has an @IGeo="value". I further found out that this @IGeo values store
> information in a certain way about "geographic" information like
> position et all..
>
> Would it be ok if I develop a plugin in forrest this way.

Don't know yet.

> Should I
> contact Adobe and ask whether we from Apache Forrest can do that?

Not necessary at this stage. If we cannot answer it at forrest-dev
then take it to legal-discuss@a.o

--David