forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Diwaker Gupta <diwakergu...@gmail.com>
Subject status on leather-dev?
Date Thu, 10 Mar 2005 22:24:00 GMT
Hi everyone,

Sometime back there was a discussion on the list on whether to keep
leather purely syntactic (i.e., use containers and named CSS elements
without attaching any notions of containment or placement in the skin
itself). The problem we were facing back then was that CSS is not very
good with absolute placement, and so keeping the skin purely syntactic
and doing all positioning with CSS was not working out very well (as
anyone using leather has seen -- particular notorious with the
"floating" search box and the weirdly placed menu)

So whats the status on leather now? Are we still with the purely
syntactic model? I really liked the idea implemented in scale-dev,
which honored CSS named elements (branding etc), but also included
some semantic notion of containment within the skin itself (like the
search box going inside the header etc) to make CSS skinning easier.

TIA
--
Diwaker Gupta
http://resolute.ucsd.edu/diwaker