forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Thorsten Scherler <thors...@apache.org>
Subject Re: status on leather-dev?
Date Fri, 11 Mar 2005 08:57:19 GMT
On Thu, 2005-03-10 at 14:24 -0800, Diwaker Gupta wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> Sometime back there was a discussion on the list on whether to keep
> leather purely syntactic (i.e., use containers and named CSS elements
> without attaching any notions of containment or placement in the skin
> itself). The problem we were facing back then was that CSS is not very
> good with absolute placement, and so keeping the skin purely syntactic
> and doing all positioning with CSS was not working out very well (as
> anyone using leather has seen -- particular notorious with the
> "floating" search box and the weirdly placed menu)

I am working on the fbits-plugin to solve this problem. I implemented a
proof of concept pipeline so far. The idea for leather is to request all
needed css elements via a forrest:view from the fbits-plugin.

leather
*******
forrest:view -> fbits-plugin -> xhtml

This makes it possible to place the CSS elements like the designer wants
and solve the problems that you describe.

> So whats the status on leather now?

See above I am still working on the fbits-plugin but I hope to have a
proof of concept pipeline for leather pretty soon (hopefully this
weekend). That  makes it possible that other devs to help me finishing
the stuff because some of us need as well this features, am I right. ;-)

> Are we still with the purely
> syntactic model?

Internally yes, but the html-skeleton will be created out of the
forrest:view. Trying to say the designer can place the elements where he
wants in the page (in DOM structure).

> I really liked the idea implemented in scale-dev,
> which honored CSS named elements (branding etc), but also included
> some semantic notion of containment within the skin itself (like the
> search box going inside the header etc) to make CSS skinning easier.

I said in the discussion that I will include scale-dev as default
implementation for leather and I am still planing to do so. It is in our
Issue Tracker and will use it as soon it makes sense.

> TIA

To you, thanks for the reminder. ;-)

salu2
--