forrest-dev mailing list archives

From "Gregor J. Rothfuss" <>
Subject Re: avoid rebuilding pages?
Date Tue, 22 Feb 2005 15:50:55 GMT
Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
> Gregor J. Rothfuss wrote:
>> hey,
>> the lenya site contains a changes.html created out of the SVN
>> changelog [1]
>> forrest takes over 5 minutes to create that page, which makes it a
>> pita to wait for when running forrest site.
> Well, if you want to publish it, it has to be generated, no? ;-)
> For editing, use 'forrest run' and point to localhost:8888.

yes i understand. it turns out though that i usually have to run forrest
multiple times until everything is just like i want it, and with
changes.html already built (and not having changed, nor the navigation
having changed) there is really no need to rebuild it.

>> from what i can tell, forrest spends a lot of time pondering the
>> thousands of external links on that page (to SVN diffs)
> Are the svn diffs local? It should not go and look for public links, if
> it does it's wrong.

you can view the result at

the links are not local.

> Have you tried using a newer xalan and xerces version?

haven't yet. i doubt it's a transform issue. if i take out the
generation of the diff links for the initial status.xml

forrest is *much* faster, which leads me to suspect it is trying to
lookup something.

> Does the file take so long also doing a traqnsform ouside of Forrest?

the initial svn 2 changes is quite fast, but then again its not a secret
that saxon is way faster than xalan.

>> is it possible to instruct forrest to not rebuild that page? if not,
>> maybe it should be developed.
> David already replied to this :-)

thanks for the hint.

Gregor J. Rothfuss
COO, Wyona       Content Management Solutions
Apache Lenya

View raw message