forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Reusing legacy HTML
Date Thu, 17 Feb 2005 16:42:11 GMT
Ferdinand Soethe wrote:

> As far as reuse is concerned, I'm not convinced. A stylesheet to treat
> such legacy html should be written to be reusable whenever possible
> and should then go to the stylesheet directory.
>
> But it also might be a poorly written or very special transformation
> that is as reusable as this mail. Putting all these files in the stylesheet
> directory in my eyes hinders reuse because eventually you have to find
> reusable pieces within that heystack of other stuff.
>
> Would it make sense to have a separate directory with
> reusable stylesheet snippets (perhaps as a subdir 'lib' of the
> stylesheet directory) that can be included into any stylesheet?

We do have a similar concept in skins. There is a common skin that has
the reusable parts of all the other skins. This is possible because all
the stylesheets have the same basic purpose, but it's not quite as
simple for stylesheets that do many and varied things, like those in the
resources directory.

However, there is nothing to stop us having a diretory structure within
the resources/stylesheets directory. So we could put things like
copyover.xsl in a "common" subdirectory and things like your stylesheet
here into a "legacyhtml" subdir. I'm not sure if this will help or
hinder, perhaps others have an opinion.

>>>In this case there would not be any in legacy html so nothing happens
>>>in this step, right?
>

> RG> That is right, but of course we strive to make the pipelines as general
> RG> as possible to accommodate as many use cases as possible.
>
> Sorry if this sounded like being critical, was not meant to be. I
> merely wanted to be clear about what is happening.

I din't think it was critical, I was just mentioning it because I
thought such clarifcation would be appropriate in your entry level doc.

Ross