forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Reusing legacy HTML
Date Wed, 16 Feb 2005 20:46:38 GMT
Ferdinand Soethe wrote:

> RG> Stylesheets should be placed in the
> RG> {project:resources.stylesheets}
> RG> directory, only displayable content should be in the xdocs directory.
>
> Is this a must, does it cause functional problems. I knew about the
> stylesheet directory but decided not to fill it with stylesheets that
> are really only used for one file. Is that a nono?

It is not a must in terms of functionality. But it is a must (in my
opinion, and I believe the vast majority of Forrest Devs) in terms of
design. It really becomes a nightmare to maintain a system when files
can't be found where they are expected to be found. Furthermore, it
makes reuse harder. You say this is a special case, but I'll bet some at
least some of the stuff in the XSL could be reused in other similar
"special" cases. Keeping all stylesheets in one directory promotes this
reuse since all developers are going to know where to look.

It is not a requirement of Forrest, the solution you suggest would work.
However, I'm not sure our documentation should encourage such "bad"
behaviour.

>>>            ???
>>>            <map:transform type="idgen"/>
>

> RG> generates ID attributes for elements that are used for internal linking
> RG> (i.e. <a href="thispage.html#thatPosition">Go to thatPosition</a>)
>
> If I'm coming from an html source, why would I need to do that. If
> there are any anchors within the page they'd already have an name.

Forrest must ensure that there are ID's for all key elements so that
things like the Table of Contents will work.

> Will those names and references get replaced? Because some names cannot
> be used as IDs?

If a value is provided in the source document then that is used, if not
a new (and valid one) is generated.

>>>            ???
>>>            <map:transform type="xinclude"/>
>

> RG> XInclude content from other files (see
> RG> http://www.w3.org/TR/xinclude/)
>
> In this case there would not be any in legacy html so nothing happens
> in this step, right?

That is right, but of course we strive to make the pipelines as general
as possible to accommodate as many use cases as possible. We can afford
to do this because of Cocoon's powerful caching, the overhead is minimal
since most pages will be generated once then cached.

Ross