forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Re: include plugin-output in forrest-XML-document
Date Wed, 09 Feb 2005 12:01:01 GMT
Johannes Schaefer wrote:
> Is there a way to include the output of a previous
> processing stage, e.g. the result of the excel plugin,
> into another document (XML source)?
>
> I want to include tables generated by the excel plugin
> in other sections. Right now the excel plugin generates
> a page of its own with lots of tables. Would be nice to
> put more text etc. around the tables.
>
> Is this a job for an internal plugin? Aggregation?
> Some way to include this with XInclude (or whatever)?
>
> How?
> Any hints appreciated!

A complete (internal plugin) solution is "in-progress" work. Search the
archives for "functional bits" and "fbits". The work so far is in the
org.apache.forrest.plugin.fbits. I think there is still quite alot to do
on this, Thorsten is currently working on it alone and he is busy
elsewhere right now. That being said, I am sure he would appreciate help
(it's something I need to and I should be becoming free in a short while).

In the meantime the hack solution I am using here is to use html pages
as my source and using IFrames to include output from other plugins. Far
from ideal but if you need an immediate solution it works.

Ross