forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Ferdinand Soethe <samm...@soethe.net>
Subject Re[2]: Reusing legacy HTML
Date Thu, 17 Feb 2005 07:42:54 GMT

Hi Ross,

>> RG> Stylesheets should be placed in the
>> RG> {project:resources.stylesheets}
>> RG> directory, only displayable content should be in the xdocs directory.
>>
>> Is this a must, does it cause functional problems. I knew about the
>> stylesheet directory but decided not to fill it with stylesheets that
>> are really only used for one file. Is that a nono?

RG> It is not a must in terms of functionality. But it is a must (in my
RG> opinion, and I believe the vast majority of Forrest Devs) in terms of
RG> design. It really becomes a nightmare to maintain a system when files
RG> can't be found where they are expected to be found. Furthermore, it
RG> makes reuse harder. You say this is a special case, but I'll bet some at
RG> least some of the stuff in the XSL could be reused in other similar
RG> "special" cases. Keeping all stylesheets in one directory promotes this
RG> reuse since all developers are going to know where to look.

RG> It is not a requirement of Forrest, the solution you suggest would work.
RG> However, I'm not sure our documentation should encourage such "bad"
RG> behaviour.

OK, I can see the point about having resources in clearly
defined locations. So the advantages in terms of maintaining and
enhancing the system makes this a NO-NO and I will stress that
in the documentation.

As far as reuse is concerned, I'm not convinced. A stylesheet to treat
such legacy html should be written to be reusable whenever possible
and should then go to the stylesheet directory.

But it also might be a poorly written or very special transformation
that is as reusable as this mail. Putting all these files in the stylesheet
directory in my eyes hinders reuse because eventually you have to find
reusable pieces within that heystack of other stuff.

Would it make sense to have a separate directory with
reusable stylesheet snippets (perhaps as a subdir 'lib' of the
stylesheet directory) that can be included into any stylesheet?

RG> Forrest must ensure that there are ID's for all key elements so that
RG> things like the Table of Contents will work.

>> Will those names and references get replaced? Because some names cannot
>> be used as IDs?

RG> If a value is provided in the source document then that is used, if not
RG> a new (and valid one) is generated.

Cool stuff!

>> In this case there would not be any in legacy html so nothing happens
>> in this step, right?

RG> That is right, but of course we strive to make the pipelines as general
RG> as possible to accommodate as many use cases as possible.

Sorry if this sounded like being critical, was not meant to be. I
merely wanted to be clear about what is happening.

Regards,
Ferdinand Soethe