forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <>
Subject Re: [Proposal] HTML as base Forrest format
Date Sun, 02 Jan 2005 14:11:45 GMT
Ross Gardler wrote:
> Thorsten Scherler wrote:
>> If we give up xdocs, then we have to use XHTML (1|2).
>> -1 on HTML.
>> We need a valid input format and I have seen too many editors that
>> produces screwed up invalid html.

This argument does not stand IMHO. We don't need a perfect input format,
but just a usable one. And I have seen at least as many other editors
that produce workable html. OpenOffice for one, or Mozilla Composer.

> Good point, although I have to admit I was meaning XHTML and ad assumed
> Nicola Ken was also meaning XHTML. However, this certainly needs
> clearing up.

I intend HTML4 and XHTML1.1, with HTML4 *preferred*, as it facilitates
usage. "Be forgiving in what you accept, be strict in what you deliver".

> Using Jtidy HTML input is easily converted to XHTML, so my point about
> HTMLEditor and stylesheets for things like docbook assume we will be using:
> html -> XHTML -> output format
> In the short term (i.e. before we move to XHTML as the intermediate
> format) this would be:
> html -> XHTML -> XDoc -> output format

Actually I'm only talking about the SOURCE format.

The proposal is simply to deprecate the xdoc format as an *input*
format, and concentrate on HTML4 and XHTML1.x for the _source_.

Nicola Ken Barozzi
             - verba volant, scripta manent -