forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Ron Blaschke <mailing-li...@rblasch.org>
Subject Re: License & Copyright concerns Re: [plugins] pod-input auto install
Date Sat, 22 Jan 2005 20:56:02 GMT
Saturday, January 22, 2005, 8:50:30 PM, Rick Tessner wrote:
> On Fri, 2005-01-21 at 21:23 +0100, Ron Blaschke wrote:

>> Since most of the important things of pod-input are working, I'd like
>> to ask to have it added to the plugins list.  The plugin is available
>> from
>> http://www.rblasch.org/projects/pod-input/org.rblasch.forrest.plugin.pod-input.zip
>>
>> Any feedback is highly appreciated, especially if you consider
>> anything missing.

> Thanks for this Ron!  Tested it out and looks like it works well. :)

Thanks a bunch. :)

> I've been going through the zip you provided and I have a few concerns
> however.

> Java Class and Plugin Naming
> Copyright Notices
Should be ok, as it's not part of the Forrest distribution.

> Included JAR files and License
> -------------------------------
> There are two jars included in this zip file as well, but I didn't see
> any corresponding license files.
>         jpod.jar
>         matra.jar
> For the above, there should be license files named
>         jpod.jar.license.txt
>         matra.jar.license.txt
> The licenses would obviously need to be compatible with Apache License
> 2.0.

Thanks for pointing this out.  I'll add the license files.

jpod is the beast that does the real work.  pod-input just contains
the Cocoon Generator adapter.  I am the author, and will distribute it
under the Apache License as well.  It is, or better will be, available
separately, just in case someone wants to write another formatter
(HTML, etc).

matra, on the other hand, is available from
http://matra.sourceforge.net/ and ist distributed under the Mozilla
Public License 1.1 or GPL.
Is the MPL 1.1 compatible with the Apache License 2.0?
If not, can anybody recommend a DTD parser that is available under the
Apache License?  jpod uses it to resolve E<entity> formatting codes,
which are akin to &entity; in XML.

> Inclusion of Perl Documentation
> -------------------------------
> The directory src/documentation/content/xdocs/Pod contains what appear
> to be official Perl documentation which I'm guessing would fall under
> the "Perl Artistic License".  Again, I'm not sure whether we would be
> able to distribute this as part of an Apache Project.

Uups, these should probaly not be distributed.  You are right, it's
the official perl distribution (taken from lib/pod), and I am using it
to check if the formatter is working right, by visually comparing the
result with http://www.perldoc.com/perl5.8.4/pod/perl.html
It's commented out in site.xml in the distribution.

Ron