forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Ron Blaschke <mailing-li...@rblasch.org>
Subject [plugin] Warning, Errors, Fatals and Libraries (again)
Date Sun, 02 Jan 2005 22:22:40 GMT
As posted earlier, I am working on a Pod input plugin.  Quite a
number of things are already working, but some are not (quite yet).

I have some questions regarding input plugin development, and I'd
appreciate it if you guys could help me sort them out.  None of these
is required for the plugin to work, but would make things integrate
more smoothly (I guess).

- Libraries
The pod-input plugin requires two additional jars to run.  How should
I distribute them with the plugin?  Just copy them into a lib/
directory in the distribution zip?

- Errors and Warnings
During translation of documents error may pop up.  How should those be
reported?  org.apache.cocoon.ProcessingException in the generator?
How should warnings be reported?  Just System.err.println(..)?

- Tracing
Is there a recommended library which should be used for tracing?
log4j, commons-logging, excalibur-logger, ...?

- forrest validate-xdocs
Are there any plans to allow input plugins to validate their
documents?  Would be a neat feature.

Any comment is greatly appreciated.

Ron