forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Ron Blaschke <mailing-li...@rblasch.org>
Subject Re: entity resolution with POD input
Date Mon, 24 Jan 2005 08:07:02 GMT
David Crossley wrote:
> Ron Blaschke wrote:
>> David Crossley wrote:
>> > Ron Blaschke wrote:
>> Sorry, guess I am too deep into the code, not spelling things out.
>> Pod supports entities as E<entity>, akin to &entity; in XML.  But
>> instead of just passing them on (E<uuml> -> &uuml;), I thought it
>> would be good to resolve them locally.

> This sounds like a lot of extra work to me. Cocoon's machinery
> handles the entities later in the process. So why try to circumvent
> that. Wouldn't it better just to do the E<uuml> -> &uuml; in your
> input generation?

I kept the parser as generic as possible, to keep it useful for
others.  Say, if someone wants to create a Pod-to-text formatter, or
display a Pod in a Java GUI.  I guess I treat entities here just as
Java would Unicode escapes ("\u0000") in a source file.

OTOH, I might create a pass-through for entities (which can be turned
on with a switch in the parser), which would avoid the dependency on
the DTD parser, yielding a smaller distribution, require less
memory and CPU cycles during translation.

Ron