forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Dave Brondsema <d...@brondsema.net>
Subject Re: running multiple forrestbots
Date Tue, 01 Feb 2005 03:47:36 GMT
David Crossley wrote:
> Dave Brondsema wrote:
>
>>David Crossley wrote:

>>>That is okay, my forrest-exec shell wrapper has a case statement
>>>to switch based on siteName to handle various special "pre-forrest"
>>>operations. However, the length of time that it takes, causes
>>>the issue that i mention below - forrestbot run via the webapp
>>>will not know if there is a forrestbot already running via
>>>cron and vice versa. I think that can be fixed in my wrapper
>>>by checking/setting the date on the cocoon-trunk forrestbot log.
>>
>>Hmm.. perhaps this should be added to forrest[bot] itself.  Not sure how..
>

> Yes, i had already thought of that too. I was wondering if
> when forrestbot starts we can create a flag file in the
> forrestbot-logs directory, which gets removed at the end
> of the process. I have started a coding experiment.
> We would probably also need a way to check if there was
> a stale flag file lying around.

Hrm, that is a tricky issue.  The "right way" would be to see if the
forrest process is still running in the system (But what if you had
multiple users with write-access to a remotely mounted directory.
That'd mean different systems with only the log dir in common).  But
doing system-level work would be non-portable anyway.  So how to know
the difference between a long-running forrestbot and one that died
unexpectedly?

In the forrestbot webapp, it says "running" if the log file is
incomplete (no BUILD SUCCESFUL).  But if the log file's date (last
updated date, IIRC) is more than a couple minutes old it says "failed"
instead.  Perhaps something like that would work.

--
Dave Brondsema : dave@brondsema.net
http://www.splike.com : programming