forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Dave Brondsema <d...@brondsema.net>
Subject Re: [Proposal] forrestbot at apache.org
Date Wed, 26 Jan 2005 18:46:42 GMT
David Crossley wrote:
> Dave Brondsema wrote:
>
>>David Crossley wrote:
>>
>>>I suddenly realised the issue with "cocoon-trunk". It needs
>>>to run its 'build docs' before running 'forrest'. It generates
>>>some extra source documentation before forrest starts.
>>>
>>>There is a global parameter "forrest-exec" which can call
>>>a shell script to do other things, then call forrest.
>>
>>A better option would be to have the forrestbot buildfile for
>>cocoon-trunk run its 'build docs', then you don't affect any other projects.
>

> That is okay, my forrest-exec shell wrapper has a case statement
> to switch based on siteName to handle various special "pre-forrest"
> operations. However, the length of time that it takes, causes
> the issue that i mention below - forrestbot run via the webapp
> will not know if there is a forrestbot already running via
> cron and vice versa. I think that can be fixed in my wrapper
> by checking/setting the date on the cocoon-trunk forrestbot log.

Hmm.. perhaps this should be added to forrest[bot] itself.  Not sure how..

> Anyway, thanks, it is good to know that the forrestbot buildfile
> has that capability - du'oh i should have realised that.
> Perhaps i can move some of the pre-forrest functionality.

And if you do so then other people can use the same buildfile without
needing the shell wrapper.

> Youch, just tried it. I presume that you mean adding an <import>
> for the cocoon-trunk/build.xml then calling the forrestbot
> with targets "docs" and then "build". I get errors from cocoon's
> "docs" target because forrestbot is not running in the top-level
> of cocoon's source.

Maybe using the 'ant' task would work better; with it you can specify
the buildfile and directory.

> Also, because forrestbot only does 'svn up' for the exact parts
> of the sources that it requires, i need to do an 'svn up'
> for the full cocoon-trunk. This needs to happen over in the
> work/svn/cocoon-trunk space, then do cocoon's 'build docs' there,
> then let forrestbot copy the sources to its ${build.work-dir}

Hmm, I don't know enough about cocoon's build procedure.  Perhaps the
cocoon buildfile should provide it's own 'getsrc' implementation (which
would depend on getsrc.svn and then do more complete updates).

--
Dave Brondsema : dave@brondsema.net
http://www.splike.com : programming