forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Enhancing status.xml
Date Fri, 07 Jan 2005 23:47:51 GMT
I find myself increasingly using status.xml, along with regular
checkins, to track my teams development progress. As a result I have
found the need to extend it. I've done this in such a way that requires
no changes to Forrest core, but I would like to go a little further...

What I have done so far is simple. In actions in the todo list we use
para's break down the action into smaller units. As they are completed
we change the class of those para's to "done".

Once all the tasks are marked as done we move the item to the changes list.

I've added CSS elements to skinconf.xml to render the tasks and done
items differently, thus, at a glance a dev can see what the current
status is.

It would also be possible to create a stylesheet to create different
changelogs, one for release notes that only includes the description and
one for devs that inludes additional details from the class="done"
items. This is quite handy as these items often have class names and
design information in them. OUr devs are finding this an increasingly
useful from of documentation.

This all works a treat and requires no changes to Forrest. However, if I
were to extend the DTD of status.xml I could do things like assign
different devs to tasks, record complexity values and priorities etc. (I
know status.xml doesn't have a DTD, but the stylesheets would need
extending at least).

Are there any objections to me adding these elements to status.xml or
should I just stick to using classes?

Ross