forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Marcus Crafter <craft...@managesoft.com>
Subject Re: Updating Forrest for debian, packaging questions
Date Tue, 04 Jan 2005 11:43:36 GMT
Hi Upayavira,

Thanks for that - if the check was removed then it might get a bit
further then.

I just had a further play -> it looks like Cocoon/Forrest is writing
it's log files into the ${context-root}/WEB-INF/logs directory according
to the context/WEB-INF/logkit.xconf configuration.

This will be the next issue then, as /usr/share/forrest/** would
normally be root.root ownership with no write permissions.

Should we perhaps reconfigure the logkit.xconf to log to a per user
location or similar? Any thoughts there?

Since this (and updating the Cocoon version to include the patch) would
be a change to the base dependencies for Forrest - is there a plan for a
point release of Forrest soon?

Thanks for everyone's help. :)

Cheers,

Marcus

PS. Yes, a Debian package for Cocoon would be great too.

There was a Cocoon1 package many eons ago, and from memory some attempts
at packaging Cocoon2 - but nothing really eventuated. I think mainly due
to the embedded nature of Cocoon itself (eg. if 2.1.6 was packaged, we
still couldn't depend on it for Forrest 0.6 as it uses a 2.2.0-dev cut).

I'll check with the original ITP (intent to package) holders to see what
the status is though, we might be able to take advantage of it in the
future. :)

Upayavira wrote:
> Juan Jose Pablos wrote:

>>>installation for all users.
>>>
>>>This behaviour seems to have changed somewhat from what I can tell -
>>>as this approach currently fails with a:
>>>ERROR   2005-01-03 17:02:03.791 [        ] (): Directory '.' is not
>>>readable/writable
>>>Exception in thread "main" java.io.IOException: Directory '.' is not
>>>readable/writable
>>>        at
>>>org.apache.cocoon.bean.CocoonWrapper.getDir(CocoonWrapper.java:253)
>>>        at
>>>org.apache.cocoon.bean.CocoonWrapper.initialize(CocoonWrapper.java:106)
>>>        at
>>>org.apache.cocoon.bean.CocoonBean.initialize(CocoonBean.java:98)
>>>        at org.apache.cocoon.Main.main(Main.java:320)
>>>

>>I am pretty sure that this was a cocoon problem and it has been fixed.
>>I have not been able to find the mails, but I am sure that it has been
>>fixed on the development version.
>

> There was a check to see if the context directory was writable. It was
> removed in SVN I believe.
>
> Upayavira, who wants to see Cocoon packaged for Debian too!

      ,,$$$$$$$$$,      Marcus Crafter
     $:         $$$$:   ManageSoft Corporation
      $       o_)$$$:   Frankfurt am Main, Germany
            \_&&&&'
           &&&&.
     &&&&&&&: