forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Juan Jose Pablos <che...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Updating Forrest for debian, packaging questions
Date Tue, 04 Jan 2005 07:29:21 GMT
Marcus Crafter wrote:

> From my first inspections, it seems that Forrest is now with the
> source and binary archive acting as one? ie. with run scripts
> referencing files that in src/ directories and so forth. Is this the
> case? Doing a ./build.sh dist seems to make a copy of the
> apache-forrest-0.6 directory under build/dist completely.

There is another restructure in the svn, so I think that maybe would be
worth to try to use the development version.
Maybe we can add the debian stuff under whiteboard/debian

> Obviously in Forrest's case, much of the source can be considered
> binary content verbatim (eg. stylesheets, etc), but things like java
> source, etc, normally wouldn't be bundled in a Debian binary package -
> so I was wondering if there was a list (or if someone might be able to
> list) the directories in the forrest.tgz that are required for running
> Forrest, as opposed to purely source code used for building it? Any
> thoughts there at all?

There were suggestions from some people that wanted just  the software
to run. With the plugin effort forrest could be split in more packages.

> From anywhere on the system, /usr/bin/forrest would use the single
> installation for all users.
>
> This behaviour seems to have changed somewhat from what I can tell -
> as this approach currently fails with a:
> ERROR   2005-01-03 17:02:03.791 [        ] (): Directory '.' is not
> readable/writable
> Exception in thread "main" java.io.IOException: Directory '.' is not
> readable/writable
>         at
> org.apache.cocoon.bean.CocoonWrapper.getDir(CocoonWrapper.java:253)
>         at
> org.apache.cocoon.bean.CocoonWrapper.initialize(CocoonWrapper.java:106)
>         at
> org.apache.cocoon.bean.CocoonBean.initialize(CocoonBean.java:98)
>         at org.apache.cocoon.Main.main(Main.java:320)

I am pretty sure that this was a cocoon problem and it has been fixed. I
have not been able to find the mails, but I am sure that it has been
fixed on the development version.

> Is a 'single forrest installation' still intended to work ok, or
> should each user actually be working with their own copy of forrest
> locally?

I think that it should be a single forrest instalation, we have the
forrest.home and the project.home for this.

> Hope this isn't too much off the bat - just trying to learn as much as
> I can about how Forrest is intended to run and be installed so I can
> make the package the best as possible.

no problem, personaly I like debian a lot, I use for everything, and I
think that this would help  forrest to be more standard from the O.S. POV.

Cheers,
Cheche