forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Proposal] HTML as base Forrest format
Date Tue, 04 Jan 2005 00:47:48 GMT
Mark Eggers wrote:
> I'm just a long-time reader of the dev mailing list,
> so I don't know if my comments are appropriate.

All comments from all people with an opinion are appropriate, discussion
is the only way to ensure we avoid problems.

> -1 since it removes document content structure.  This
> lack of structure will make skinning and
> transformations much more complex.

This is true, to an extent. Forrest already supports HTML as an input
format and it is well supported (i.e the transformations already work).
However, our docs lead users to the conclusion that they *should* use
XDoc and avoid HTML. This makes it difficult for users to get started if
they are not already set-up with an XML editor.

If a project requires a valid and well formed input format then that
project can choose to use XDocs, OpenOffice.org Writer, XHTML, Docbook
or any other support format. Such a project will already have a develop
who is XML aware and has access to an XML editor.

You are not the first person to voice concerns along these lines though.
I would therefore like to add my support to the suggestion (from David I
think) that we simply change the documentation to make it clear that
HTML and XHTML are suitable input formats whilst also identifying the
more rigid formats available. The HTMLArea plugin can be used to make
the barrier to entry for new users very low.

>>>From the welcome:
>
> Apache Forrest is an XML standards-oriented
> documentation framework based upon Apache Cocoon,
> providing XSLT stylesheets and schemas, images and
> other resources. Forrest uses these to render the
> source content into a website via command-line, robot,
> or dynamic application.

Internally, everything will still be XML standards-oriented so I don't
think this proposal contradicts this statement.

Ross