forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [plugin] Warning, Errors, Fatals and Libraries (again)
Date Mon, 03 Jan 2005 22:31:39 GMT
[No need to reply to me and CC to Forrest, just keep it on Forrest Dev -
comments in-line]

Ron Blaschke wrote:
> Monday, January 3, 2005, 8:49:05 PM, Ross Gardler wrote:

>>>If I am not wrong, forrest validates the XML documents against their
>>>DTDs.  But the pod-input plugin takes (Perl) Pod files as input, which
>>>are not in XML.  (This might also apply to other future input plugins.)
>

>>It is the job of the plugin to do whatever is necessary, including any
>>validation. I'm not sure exactly *how* this would be done, perhaps a
>>Cocoon generator to read the POD file and validate it accordingly.
>

> Maybe I got things wrong, so let me spell it out.  Please hint me were
> I got things wrong: There is a separate target, in
> main/targets/validaton.xml, called validate-xdocs, which uses a task
> "xmlvalidate" to check the documents.  This process looks separate
> from the translation.
>
> Since input plugins might handle non XML files, the validaton might no
> longer be complete.  I just wanted to point this out, for you guys to
> properly decide on it.

Yes, I see your point. It would be possible to have Forrest call an Ant
target in the plugin build file that will validate the input files.
If/when the first plugin is built that will do this validation we can
add this.

Ross