forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Updating Forrest for debian, packaging questions
Date Mon, 03 Jan 2005 21:30:03 GMT
Marcus Crafter wrote:
 > so I was
> wondering if there was a list (or if someone might be able to list) the
> directories in the forrest.tgz that are required for running Forrest, as
> opposed to purely source code used for building it? Any thoughts there
> at all?

(do not consider this response necessarily complete, it is just my
"off-the-top-of-my-head response")

Pretty much all of them are required when running Forrest with the
exception of src/java and src/forestlogos. It could be argued that
src/forrestbar and src/forrestbot are not needed, these are external
tools and not required by Forrest core, the same goes for scratchpad/**.

A great deal of the other files are only used in quite specific
circumstances, plugins in 0.7 are allowing us to move these files into
optional packages, but that is a different story.

> This at the moment resovles to /usr/share/forrest/src/core/context which
> is normally not writable by users (eg. root.root ownership, 755 dir perms).
>
> Is a 'single forrest installation' still intended to work ok, or should
> each user actually be working with their own copy of forrest locally?

Is http://issues.cocoondev.org/browse/FOR-356 relevant? (I confess to
not having absorbed your problem, or that in the issue, but instinct
seems to link them)

> Hope this isn't too much off the bat - just trying to learn as much as I
> can about how Forrest is intended to run and be installed so I can make
> the package the best as possible.

Brilliant, thanks.

Ross