forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <>
Subject Re: Updating Forrest for debian, packaging questions
Date Mon, 03 Jan 2005 21:30:03 GMT
Marcus Crafter wrote:
 > so I was
> wondering if there was a list (or if someone might be able to list) the
> directories in the forrest.tgz that are required for running Forrest, as
> opposed to purely source code used for building it? Any thoughts there
> at all?

(do not consider this response necessarily complete, it is just my
"off-the-top-of-my-head response")

Pretty much all of them are required when running Forrest with the
exception of src/java and src/forestlogos. It could be argued that
src/forrestbar and src/forrestbot are not needed, these are external
tools and not required by Forrest core, the same goes for scratchpad/**.

A great deal of the other files are only used in quite specific
circumstances, plugins in 0.7 are allowing us to move these files into
optional packages, but that is a different story.

> This at the moment resovles to /usr/share/forrest/src/core/context which
> is normally not writable by users (eg. root.root ownership, 755 dir perms).
> Is a 'single forrest installation' still intended to work ok, or should
> each user actually be working with their own copy of forrest locally?

Is relevant? (I confess to
not having absorbed your problem, or that in the issue, but instinct
seems to link them)

> Hope this isn't too much off the bat - just trying to learn as much as I
> can about how Forrest is intended to run and be installed so I can make
> the package the best as possible.

Brilliant, thanks.

Checked by AVG Anti-Virus.