forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Marcus Crafter <craft...@managesoft.com>
Subject Updating Forrest for debian, packaging questions
Date Mon, 03 Jan 2005 16:20:54 GMT
Hi All,

Hope all is going well. Happy New Year to all. :)

After a nice weekend I thought I'd get started updating the Forrest
Debian package from 0.5.1 to 0.6.

Yesdarday I downloaded the updated sources and saw that a few things had
changed wrt. the build process and how Forrest is to be distributed.

 From my first inspections, it seems that Forrest is now with the source
and binary archive acting as one? ie. with run scripts referencing files
that in src/ directories and so forth. Is this the case? Doing a
./build.sh dist seems to make a copy of the apache-forrest-0.6 directory
under build/dist completely.

Normally, Debian packages are split in 2, potentially more packages -> a
source and binary package (perhaps multiple with software,
documentation, etc), with the binary containing only whats needed to run
the software, and the source package containing everything whats needed
to reproduce the binary package/s.

Obviously in Forrest's case, much of the source can be considered binary
content verbatim (eg. stylesheets, etc), but things like java source,
etc, normally wouldn't be bundled in a Debian binary package - so I was
wondering if there was a list (or if someone might be able to list) the
directories in the forrest.tgz that are required for running Forrest, as
opposed to purely source code used for building it? Any thoughts there
at all?

I've already done some playing with the package itself. The 0.5 version
of the package installed Forrest to /usr/share/forrest (pretty much was
the contents of the build directory from a ./build.sh dist from memory).

 From anywhere on the system, /usr/bin/forrest would use the single
installation for all users.

This behaviour seems to have changed somewhat from what I can tell - as
this approach currently fails with a:

ERROR   2005-01-03 17:02:03.791 [        ] (): Directory '.' is not
readable/writable
Exception in thread "main" java.io.IOException: Directory '.' is not
readable/writable
         at
org.apache.cocoon.bean.CocoonWrapper.getDir(CocoonWrapper.java:253)
         at
org.apache.cocoon.bean.CocoonWrapper.initialize(CocoonWrapper.java:106)
         at org.apache.cocoon.bean.CocoonBean.initialize(CocoonBean.java:98)
         at org.apache.cocoon.Main.main(Main.java:320)

after attempting to generate a site.

The directory is:

       <java classname="org.apache.cocoon.Main"
         fork="true"
**      dir="${forrest.home}/context"
         maxmemory="${forrest.maxmemory}"

ie. ${forrest.home}/context, from what I can tell,

This at the moment resovles to /usr/share/forrest/src/core/context which
is normally not writable by users (eg. root.root ownership, 755 dir perms).

Is a 'single forrest installation' still intended to work ok, or should
each user actually be working with their own copy of forrest locally?

Hope this isn't too much off the bat - just trying to learn as much as I
can about how Forrest is intended to run and be installed so I can make
the package the best as possible.

Hope everyone has a nice evening.

Cheers,

Marcus

      ,,$$$$$$$$$,      Marcus Crafter
     $:         $$$$:   ManageSoft Corporation
      $       o_)$$$:   Frankfurt am Main, Germany
            \_&&&&'
           &&&&.
     &&&&&&&: